I’ve never seen anyone actually fall asleep on the gym floor, but how often do you hear people complain that they’re so tired they don’t feel like working out? It’s one of the excuses I hear frequently.
So I began wondering about all of this tired stuff. Are they just not getting enough shut-eye each night? After all, not getting enough sleep negatively impacts our overall physical and emotional well being, causes physiological stress, and has been implicated as a cause of weight gain. In fact, current thinking among sleep researchers is that healthy, sufficient sleep is as important a factor in weight loss as are diet and exercise.
Insomnia and poor sleep can be debilitating to your daily life. It’s all you think about when you can’t fall, or stay, asleep through the night. Here are 10 natural, medicine-free tips for what you can do to get sufficient sleep for your health and well being:
- Herbal remedies including melatonin, valerian, chamomile, lavender, passionflower and lemon balm have been shown to be effective sleep aids due to their relaxing properties
- Magnesium supplements help relax muscles and can help induce a calming sensation
- Acupuncture helps many people improve their sleep
- Relaxation training to reduce mental stress, along with yoga, mindful mediation and biofeedback with relaxation tapes also create a calming feeling
- Exercise early in the day. It not only provides the body with more energy, but it also tires the body while relaxing the mind
- Nutritional changes such as cutting out caffeine (it can stay in your system up to 14 hours) and chocolate before bedtime and eating whole grain crackers or magnesium rich foods before bedtime can help induce sleep. Have a glass of red wine in the evening for adding melatonin to your body
- Be consistent in getting up earlier every day
- Stretch before going to sleep and add aromatherapy (lavender) with quieting music. Keep your bedroom about 68 degrees
- Get a comfy mattress. The Westin “Heavenly” mattress is, well, heavenly
- Try the “Escape” Mask by Dream Essentials