6. Control Portions with Low Glycemic Index (GI) Foods
• The GI index is used to measure how quickly the body converts certain foods into sugar to be stored in muscle tissue.
• Low GI foods break down slowly providing sustained energy and prevents an extreme drop in blood sugar (hypoglycemia) that can lead to low energy and type II Diabetes.
• Examples of low GI foods are whole grains, fruits, vegetables, lentils, and nuts.
7. Reduce the amount of Liquid Calories
a. Replace soda, juice and alcohol with water to stay lean. Many of these sugary drinks also contain high amounts of the dreaded High Fructose Corn Syrup (HFCS).
8. Avoid the low carbohydrate trap
a. Carbs are the body’s #1 preferred source of fuel.
b. In the absence of carbs the body produces energy by dipping into your precious protein stores that make up your muscles, a process known as gluconeogenesis.
c. For every 1-gram of carbohydrate we ingest we store 3 grams of water.
d. Cutting out carbs will help you lose weight, but the weight lost is from muscle and water loss not fat.
9. Water Yourself
a. Hydrate readily throughout the day especially before and after strenuous exercise. Remember to drink 6 oz. every 15-20 minutes during exercise.
10. Eat more fiber
a. This means trading your white bread for heart-healthy whole wheat and increasing intake of fruits, vegetables, nuts and beans.
At La Jolla Sports Club, they know that all great fitness programs start with YOU! Being healthy is a key factor in remaining in-shape and feeling great! Personal training is also another key factor in maintaing your health! ]]>La Jolla Sports Club offers the most qualified and experienced staff of Certified Personal Trainers in the area. All of our personal training staff have a nationally recognized certification and complete continuing education courses on a regular basis. We only hire personal trainers that have at least a B.S. in a related field or several years of experience. All of our Trainers are equipped to help you meet and exceed your goals through a combination of both traditional and functional training techniques. Our diverse team is available seven days a week to keep you on track and take your fitness to the next level.