If you think jumping rope is mere child’s play, think again. Jumping rope is actually one of the best forms of cardio out there, not to mention the fact that it’s inexpensive, ultra-portable, and fun. 10 minutes of jumping rope (at 129 turns per minute) burns the same amount of calories as jogging for 30 – great numbers for someone short on time. Jumping rope regularly will build your agility, balance, coordination, and speed. It is an intense, high-impact activity though, so it may take you a little while to master your technique. Here are some tips to get started:
- Grip the jump rope handles firmly with your elbows close to your sides, make small circles with your wrists as you jump.
- To help keep your balance, keep your gaze ahead, your head lifted, and your torso relaxed.
- Jump only high enough to clear the rope, and always be sure to land lightly on the balls of your feet.
- Lastly, never sacrifice well-formed jumping for speed.
- Once you’ve mastered your form, you can start trying variations like increasing your jumping speed, switching directions, and crossovers.