Hahahahaha, what a change of pace from last week’s The Art of Giving post.
Our guess is that, much like the rest of America this holiday season, you are going to swing from sweet, tender Feelings to an R-rated Grinch and back, and possibly in the same breath. Oh yes, the Black Fridays (now a month) and Cyber Mondays (now a week) do nothing to ease this, but at least they’re done. Our new challenge is breathing patiently while we are regaled with the same story, yet again, from Aunt Trudy and pretending to care while we quietly do higher-level math figuring out how many seconds are left until she boards her plane to Tulsa. Or maybe you’re in Tulsa at this very moment, counting your seconds to freedom.
And oh boy, the political climate is going to cause a few tears this holiday season. Don’t worry, we won’t be talking politics here, but no matter what side you’re on, family has an amazing ability to forget that there are actual feelings underneath that skin of yours. So, maybe put an early embargo on that topic.
What’s that, you want more ways to de-stress this holiday season? Wow, what a coincidence, our gift to you is just that.
- Maybe avoid the politics?
- San Diego has 263 days of sunny / partly sunny days per year and a bunch of awesome outdoorsy stuff to do. Family a little much? Go hike or surf or whatever you like outside, soak up that Vitamin D (which you should be doing anyway for at least 15mins a day) and breeeeeeeeathe.
- Speaking of breathing, our meditation classes are awesome.
- More than any other time of the year, we spread ourselves too thin and jam-pack our schedules trying to accommodate everyone and everything. This year, take a little time for yourself and just say No.
- Laugh! If you need some really terrible jokes, flag down La Jolla Sports Club Personal Trainer, Tim Malley.
- Studies have shown that the constant pinging / ringing / notifying / etc activates the fight-or-flight response in our bodies. And since those never seem to stop, we are always under stress. Put down your phone and enjoy the company of the people in front of you. After finishing this article, of course.
- Yoga is incredibly efficient in downsizing stress. Step away from the madness and treat yourself or your out-of-towners to some of our yoga classes.
- (left blank as a reminder to do your favorite thing that relieves stress)
- Apologies if you are perfect, but we’re going to assume otherwise. Keeping that in mind, take off some of the pressure of hosting the Perfect Party, giving the Perfect Gift or baking the Perfect Pecan Pie. The best parties have some sort of mishap, so try to roll with it and give your guests something to talk about.
- Speaking of pecan pies, tons of people de-stress by baking (in fact, we just found this site called Stress Baking). La Jolla Sports Club Personal Trainer, Kristen Forkeutis, has a few of her own favorites:
OK, that’s it for now, but good luck with all of the madness that is surely coming your way.
Want to share some tips of your own? Any holiday-horror stories that’ll make the rest of us feel better? Leave a comment or two below!
// Your friends in the &%$*$*% holiday madness, La Jolla Sports Club