You talk, we listen. And then we talk again.
Since Brett and Kera became owners here at La Jolla Sports Club, they’ve instituted and stood by an open-door policy. We understand that with changes there are going to be concerns, so in our last enewsletter we sent out a questionnaire asking members to chime in on anything that might be on their minds.
Below you’ll find our original questions, responses and then Brett’s responses to those. Editor’s note: Minor edits have been made for flow / readability, but the ideas remain the same. As always, if you have any questions / concerns, feel free to reach out to Kera and Brett.
Here we go!
LJSC: We love having you as a member of our club and would like to know, How do you rate your level of satisfaction with us?
- The showers in the ladies’ locker room are in need of work and have an unpleasant smell.
- Brett: Women’s / Men’s showers are being quoted for re-grouting, as we recently fixed the piping that was outdated below the showers, both of which should help with appearance and smell.
- I have been a member for about 25 years under various managements and the club has always employed good instructors. I do not use the machines or have a trainer, so I depend on keeping fit through the classes.
- Brett: The classes are a big portion of our club’s offering—we will always keep that as a major focus of our membership.
- When all the bikes got moved into Studio 1 in October (November ?), we were told it was only temporary. Then we were told the new spin studio would open in March and the bikes would be moved. Next I heard, the new space is being turned into staff office space. This is all disappointing news. Studio 1 is cluttered and far too full of equipment for how many people go to the classes. New hand weights would be welcomed too.
- Brett: The spin studio will be taking over the squat-rack area (with the squat-racks moving to the far side where Alessandro’s used to be). We are not adding more office space, as this will be a dedicated—and upscale—area for spinning only. Additionally, the spin studio will open up more room for Studio 1, as the bikes will be moved. We are VERY excited about this new studio and what it’ll offer you, the member. Above all, we thank you for your patience as we go through this improvement.
LJSC: Should LJSC add a free app for phones that would allow you to check in without a card, update billing, reserve classes and communicate with management, among other functions?
- Reserving classes? I hope we are not going the Orange Theory route.
- Brett: Some of our classes have a maximum capacity, so in those cases, the app will allow members to reserve bikes and spots. Going back to the spin studio, we want to offer the best experience possible, so sometimes that means limiting spots.
LJSC: How clean do you perceive the club to be?
- Please update and clean the equipment in Studio 1 and Studio 2.
- Brett: We recently completed our departmental procedure and preventative maintenance documents for a cleaner, more efficient facility.
LJSC: We will be adding more classes soon. What are your thoughts on the current class schedule?
- I’d like more of a variety of yoga and pilates classes at hours of the day that fit the schedules of members who work full time and less focus on spinning and bootcamps.
- Love all of Shanna’s classes and look forward to attending them!
- I don’t know the full schedule, but I have the impression that there are just the less-demanding classes i.e. stretch, and only challenging ones. I would like something in between and moderately demanding. It would also help if classes were designated by the level of challenge.
- Katherine (who teaches Monday and Friday mornings) is so very good. Please hire her to do more classes. She’s outstanding. Also, a new sound system for studio one would be welcomed.
- Brett: The spin studio will free up prime-time slots in studio one and two, so we will be able to offer a wider range of classes, both in variety and difficulty. We are also working on an easy-to-follow scale to help members better understand which classes would be right for them.
LJSC: Please provide any additional feedback or suggestions below. We value your opinion!
- Better communication with members (and staff who often can’t answer inquiries) about the changes ahead and realistic timelines would be appreciated.
- Brett: Kera and I are always available to talk, so please don’t hesitate to reach out, either in person or via email. Additionally, we are doing our best to communicate with members via Facebook and social media (Twitter and Instagram) as well as our monthly enewsletter, so add us for the latest and greatest (Editor: like this blog) from La Jolla Sports Club. Thank you for your feedback!
OK, that’s all for now, see you in May!
// Your La Jolla Sports Club team