You’ve made it! You’re at the Shore / beach / island / (insert desired beach here)! Week one was a hoot, but now the kids are getting restless and your body is soft from too many mai tais, margaritas and those snacks-that-you-eat-only-on-vacation-and-away-from-La-Jolla-Sports-Club.
And so, maybe you just say ‘$#@& it!’ and pour yourself another sugar-laden marg, or maybe you get off the couch, out of the AC and onto the beach for a fun workout that’ll burn some calories for both you and the kiddos (and also wear them out so you get a relaxing night)!
But, La Jolla Sports Club, you say, I left all of my workout gear at home. Don’t worry, LJSCer, we got you.
12 Fun Things to do to Wear Out Your Kids at the Beach
- Digging to China: How fast and deep can your kids dig a hole? Can they go deep enough to bury an adult? Can they dig all the way to China? Besides learning a little about geography, your kiddos are squatting, engaging cores and working on lats and biceps.
- Beach Soccer: Soccer is challenging enough, but when played on the sand, adds a whole new dimension of coordination and cardiovascular endurance.
- Flag Football: See: Beach Soccer.
- Frisbee Golf: No longer for hippies! Create a ‘course’ on the beach with blankets, coolers, etc, and try to see how close everyone can get. Closest wins the round or picks the next obstacle, and you’re helping develop hand-eye coordination away from their PlayStation.
- Water Bucket Relay: How quickly can the teams fill up a bucket of water using a smaller bucket, cup, etc? Hello, cardio, agility and balance!
- Bocce: Because it’s fun.
- Beach Bowling: Because it’s even more fun! Get 12 2-liter containers (that were previously filled with water, NOT sugary soda), set them up like pins and see how many you can knock over with your ‘bowling ball.’
- Beach Volleyball: Channel your inner pre-crazy-Tom-Cruise and get some volleyball action going. Consider playing family-style rules and lighten up on that bump / set / spike combo, Maverick.
- Tug of War: Want to get wet? No? Then don’t lose. Line up two equally matched teams perpendicular to the water and see who ends up needing a towel.
- Sand Hopscotch: Exactly what it sounds like and is a great leg-burner for kids and adults alike.
- Parachute Toss: Have everyone gather around a strong blanket and pop it to see how high you can bounce an object into the sky. Note: grumpy children make fun objects… just make sure everyone has their rhythm down.
- Beach Treasure Hunt: OK, this is actually more to get some quiet time for the parents. Create a list, possibly with some photos, and send your offspring on a little adventure. A tiny sand crab? Check. A piece of plastic that’ll also help clean up the beach? Check. A shell that looks like Abraham Lincoln? Um, check?
You get the idea, there are a million fun things to do at the beach, the trick is to just keep moving and, of course, have fun whilst doing so. I mean, you are on vacation after all.
We’ll be back in a couple of weeks with ideas for your own Bodyweight Beach Bootcamp starring La Jolla Sports Club‘s sexy GM, Spencer! Until then, stay cool!
// Your friends at La Jolla Sports Club