Say the word “yoga”, and most people still think of a practitioner sitting peacefully in a meditative pose. While that image is definitely valid, there’s a lot more to yoga than stillness. Yoga is much more than a generic term for stretching, meditating, and thoughtfully holding a pose. Most people aren’t aware of the many forms of yoga and their inherent benefits. At La Jolla Sports Club, we offer a variety of classes for all skill levels 7-days a week.
There’s a very good reason why more than 20 million people in this country include some form of yoga in their healthy lifestyle and exercise regimen. Yoga studios first started opening in cities like Manhattan and Los Angeles in the 1970’s. With steady growth for more than 40 years, you could definitely conclude that yoga is more than a fad. After all, it’s been helping people get healthier inside and out for over 5,000 years.
Types of Yoga
Types of Yoga run the gamut. Some people prefer the more slow paced Hatha style while others enjoy the more athletic Ashtanga, also known at “the warrior’s yoga”. There is also Vinyasa/“flow” yoga, Iyengar, or Bikram, which is performed in a heated room.
Classes for Everyone
At La Jolla Sports Club, we are proud of to offer different types of yoga and classes specific for different skill levels. Our spectrum of classes offers you the benefits of all of the specific traditional yoga types. Whether you’re just beginning your practice or have been studying for years, our Yoga, Flow Yoga, Gentle Yoga, Meditation, or Breathe to Movement classes can meet your needs. See our schedule for a listing of classes to suit you.
Total Body Workout
Yes, you’ll get more limber doing yoga. That’s a given. But you’ll also build a lot of strength.
- Core: Yoga is ideal for building core strength. The focus it takes to move through a series of poses and even to hold certain poses requires use of core muscles, strengthening them over time.
- Arms: Yoga builds arm strength naturally. You won’t be pumping iron in yoga class. But you WILL be supporting your own body weight. Watch your confidence grow, as well, as you get more in tune with your body and what it’s capable of!
- Legs: Again, supporting your own body weight an holding poses will strengthen your legs, too. Get ready for stronger, more toned quadriceps, hips, and thighs.
- Glutes: Want a more shapely, firm rear? Yoga class is the place to get it. Squats, bridges, warrior poses, and many others require and build stronger glutes. These muscles will also help support your back, allowing your to move with greater agility and confidence in your daily routine.
- Back: Having a limber back is beneficial to your overall health and wellbeing. Strengthening those muscles with a yoga practice will make you feel stronger overall.
If you are on a mission to create a healthier lifestyle and a better, stronger, more fit you in 2016, check out what yoga at La Jolla Sports Club has to offer. We can help you take your practice to the next level with our personalized attention and exceptional service. If you want to be more than just another nameless face in a yoga studio, you’ve come to the right place. We look forward to helping you achieve your unique fitness goals in our yoga classes.